Are your closets cluttered? Do you have plenty of clothes but nothing to wear that you are excited to put on? Would you like help getting organized so you can get ready easily and feel more in control of what you are putting on? If you answered yes to any of these questions, or you simply enjoy learning more organizing techniques, then you will love this interview with Geralin Thomas.
Geralin is a naturally gifted professional organizer. For 19 years, she’s helped people around the world get organized and become more productive so they can pursue their passions. You may have seen Geralin on the Emmy nominated television show, Hoarders, where she worked in some of America’s most cluttered homes. She is the author of Decluttering Your Home: Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets, and is a wealth of information. The show notes and links mentioned are at https://thegoodlifecoach.com/156
- How clutter can be physical and psychological
- Clutter vs hoarding
- Where clutter *typically* comes from
- Emotionally, how clutter makes people feel?
- Geralin’s closet organizing system in depth
Tips to help you get started:
· Gather the goods: bins or bags, a tape measure, full-length mirror, stepstool, vacuum, duster, bright lighting, “miscellaneous bin” for change, buttons, pins
· Block time on calendar and put phone in DND mode
· Get motivated: music, beverage, perky scent, lower the thermostat, wear appropriate undergarments, easy-on-off-outfit
· Take measurements
· Analyze and note hair, eye, and complexion colors
· Determine wants vs. needs; create a wish list (hangers or handbags)
· Group like with like + give everything a permanent address
· Get high (use vertical space: wall space/shelves, pants/scarves/hangers that cascade)
· Save prime real estate (easy access/high visibility) for most often used items
Easily plan what you’re going to wear from head-to-toe with Geralin’s Wardrobe Worksheet
Here’s a link to Geralin’s quiz https://www.metropolitanorganizing.com/life/home-organizing/whats-clutterer-personality-type/
Here’s a link to Geralin’s Wardrobe Wisdom Workbook https://www.metropolitanorganizing.com/personal-style/wardrobe-wisdom-workbook/
Geralin Thomas from Metropolitan Organizing is a naturally gifted professional organizer. For 19 years, she’s helped people around the world get organized and become more productive so they can pursue their passions. Geralin especially enjoys transforming chaotic closets into color-coded, curated collections.
You may have seen Geralin on the Emmy nominated television show, Hoarders, where she worked in some of America’s most cluttered homes. She’s been featured on TV commercials and interviewed in national publications. Her book Decluttering Your Home: Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets has been translated into [x] different languages and is sold worldwide.
In addition to coaching professional organizers, Geralin’s Ask Me Anything YouTube videos provide answers to frequently asked questions about their business challenges. Her website has free articles, quizzes, and checklists to help people get organized – whether that be by decluttering their homes or standardizing processes in their small businesses.
Thank you so much for listening!
I’d love to here from you, if you have questions or comments, visit me here.
If you’d like to advertise or sponsor the show, you can reach out here.
This episode was sponsored by Design a Life You Love, A Woman’s Guide to Living a Happier and More Fulfilled Life. My book includes 52 inspirations, one for every week of the year, each with practical tips to guide you to self-love and success on your own terms. It makes a great gift for yourself or a friend!
Rate + Review:
If you enjoyed this episode, would you please take a minute to review it on iTunes?