Mark Metry lived most of his life with social anxiety and not only overcame it, but has learned how to thrive. He hit such a low that he considered taking his life until he realized that all of his pain may actually be a gift that he can help others overcome. With over 15 million people suffering from social anxiety, Mark shares what he has learned about how to own your voice and be your authentic self. Mark hosts the Social Anxiety Society podcast and is the author of Screw Being Shy: Learn How to Manage Social Anxiety and Be Yourself in Front of Anyone! If you or someone you know suffers from social anxiety, this interview is for you.
All of the show notes can be found at thegoodlifecoach.com/154.
While on the show notes page, I’d love for you to join our community. You’ll receive more inspiration and tips to love yourself and your life. You’ll get a FREE copy of Michele’s Book, Design a Life You Love.
WHAT WE DISCUSS:
- How Mark had a really hard childhood where he was bullied and experienced discrimination.
- How he hit a low in college and gained 75 pounds. He became seriously depressed and couldn’t sleep and coped through food and alcohol. He became socially isolated and suicidal.
- He started to challenge his beliefs and thought “what if all of these things that happened were for me to use in my life” and it became a gradual process of climbing out to help himself and then others.
- What social anxiety feels like in someone’s body and how it shows up when interacting with others.
- Harvard’s analysis that showed that social anxiety is the most correlated with substance abuse, social isolation and suicide.
- The first step Mark took was to go on a health journey to lose the extra 75 pounds he gained.
- The benefits of nutritional psychiatry and how food fuels your brain, body and cells.
- The book he read on how food impacts depression and anxiety.
- The four layers of social anxiety. Socially anxious:
- around your physical appearance
- around your social skills
- around your entire personality
- around the signs of being anxious itself – creates an anxiety loop
10. Mark’s top 3 tips for managing your social anxiety, and more.
Book Mark recommended: Eat to Beat Depression and Anxiety: Nourish Your Way to Better Mental Health in Six Weeks
Mark on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/markmetry/?hl=en
MORE ABOUT MARK METRY:
Mark Metry is a 24 year old entrepreneur, author, creator, mental health advocate, coach, teacher, keynote speaker, podcast host, and loving human being.
Mark has interviewed over 300+ top leaders around the world from billionaire philanthropists, to neuroscientists, professional athletes, New York times bestselling authors, philosophers, and innovative disrupter’s on his Top 100 Humans 2.0 podcast, which NASDAQ, and Yahoo Finance placed in the “Top 21 Growing Podcasts you must listen to..”
Now, Mark hosts the Social Anxiety Society podcast, and is the bestselling author of Screw Being Shy: Learn How to Manage Social Anxiety and Be Yourself in Front of Anyone!
Mark has been featured in Forbes, TEDx, HuffPost, Mindvalley, Inc and many more. Mark‘s been mentioned alongside Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos and can be found speaking at Universities like Rutgers to Nonprofits like Coptic Orphans, to conferences and high schools across the nation.
Thank you for listening to the show!
If you enjoyed this interview, please take a moment to rate and review it on Apple podcasts. Your reviews are so appreciated! Not sure how to do it? Instructions are below. XO, Michele
Rate + Review:
1. Click on this link
2. Click “View in iTunes” button
3. Click “Subscribe” button
4. Click “Ratings and Reviews” text
5. Click to rate and leave short review and you’re done!