In this Episode:
Meditation is all about moving beyond the intellect. It takes time to start a meditative practice, so at first it will take willpower.
Where to begin:
- Train the mind to concentrate on one thing before you begin. When people start they try to concentrate the brain vs let it rest. The idea is to notice when you are thinking and gently guide your mind back to rest.
- Breathe and use a mantra, which is a word like “love” that you repeat to yourself in your mind, not out loud.
- Don’t look at how long you sit as the gauge of success. Start with 5 minutes a day to get in the practice of sitting every day.
Meditation is the mind at deep rest and you want to get into the habit of being in this state. Get into the laboratory of self-study.
Jess recommends finding a teacher. This can be a meditation app like “headspace”, a youtube video, or person — just find what “speaks” to you.
Jess’ 3 Best Tips for Creating a Mindful Practice:
- Look at the themes that keep showing up and get curious about what they are and what is at the essence of how it makes you feel. If it is fear, then heal that fear in your meditation – tell yourself in your mind, “I am safe. I am okay. Right now I am okay.”
- Pay attention to what you are doing while you are doing it – sticky notes on your mirror on your refrigerator. Make a moving meditation throughout your day. Turn off all distractions like music, podcasts, tv, and just be in the moment doing whatever it is you are doing.
- Start every morning with 5 deep breaths.
Resources Mentioned (Books + App)
Where to find Jessica:
Loving What Is by Byron Katie
The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
This episode was sponsored by Design a Life You Love, A Woman’s Guide to Living a Happier and More Fulfilled Life. My book includes 52 inspirations, one for every week of the year, each with practical tips to guide you to self-love and success on your own terms. It’s a short book that you can read in about an hour, but includes life lessons that will last a lifetime.
Thank you for listening to the show! Please be sure to share it with your friends who would benefit from this information. Also be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast app to be a part of this community of strong, smart, and successful women.
Rate + Review:
If you enjoyed this episode, would you please take a minute to review it on iTunes? Your review helps me better understand what topics you most enjoyed. It also helps others find this podcast so that they too can learn this actionable information.
1. Click on this link
2. Click “View in iTunes” button
3. Click “Subscribe” button
4. Click “Ratings and Reviews” text
5. Click to rate and leave short review and you’re done!